I finally hand bound this book/journal/thing. A long time ago I took a class and basically we made and worked on a art journal for a whole year. Before the end of the class a friend and I set up a new journal with all the tools we had in the class. It was kind of “for the road” since we had the resources there in the class and were leaving. That must have been atleast four years ago, and the book covers and pages have been collecting dust under my desk. Well no more!
I found that I never punched the holes between the signatures and appently left behind the strip of canvas I was planning to bind the covers with. I simply could not use the technique I was taught in the class for binding the book, so I scoured the internet and found plenty of resources for bookbinding. I used bits and tricks from all the tutorials and bound the book with some matching fabric I had laying around. I added fabric to the spine before the pages were in- UPSIDE DOWN. I wanted the fabric to lay downwards, but unfortunetly they’re stuck upwards in the opposite direction than what I intended. Let that be a lesson for all to check twice before sewing. For whatever original intention I had, there is a chunk carved out of the cover in the rough shape of an eye. I’ll get around to fixing that later…
It has approximately 42 pages, seven sheets of hot pressed/or cold pressed water color paper in each signature. There are some random papers in there, like what seems to be some kind of illustration paper that’s a vanila color and some kind of roofing paper. It’s been so long since I did the last book that I’ve forgotten all the intricate things about making books and what I wanted to do with this book. I’ve already started on some pages. I would scan these puppies to show off all the tiny details, espeically in the watercolor page, but I’m super cautious with handling the pages and stuff (and my scanner has it out for me…)
I’m still working on all the pages. I don’t think I could ever put them down and say it’s finished for the world. Page 3 is a big dissapointment to me, since I intended a very different ‘feel’ from the fish (which is a cutout from some magazine) and the tree. They don’t match the lyrics in the background, so I’ll probably come back and add something or another.